Breakdancing At The 2024 Olympics! [Image: Break Dancing][page 2]
The International Olympic Committee has added the wildly popular acrobatic dance battles to the 2024 Olympic Games set to be held in Paris, France.
The 2020 Olympics have been postponed to Summer 2021 because of the coronavirus pandemic.
Quick Quiz Question: Do you know where the 2020 Olympic games will be held?
Breakdancing is an athletic form of dancing that originated in the United States of America in the 1970’s.
The 2021 event will feature skateboarding, sport climbing and surfing for the first time. The breakdancing competition at the 2024 Olympics will be aptly called breaking, as it was in the 1970s by hip-hop pioneers in the United States.
Did you know?
- Breaking originated in the early 1970’s in urban New York among youth.
- In the 1970s and 1980s, break dancers called themselves B-Boys.
- Groups of dance crews would “battle” each other wherever there happened to be a smooth floor, or on street corners with the help of flattened cardboard boxes.
- Gravity-defying moves like the head-spin, windmill and backspin are an important part of b-boying.
- Copying someone else’s moves was known as “biting.”
- A freeze is a b-boying technique that involves halting all body motion, often in an interesting or balance-intensive position.
Answer: The 2020 Olympic Games will be held in Japan in the Summer of 2021.